So, I left off with a discussion about some of my sweet couponing tips. There are a few other things I do. I’m sure you might read these and think to yourself, “Yeah, I’ve done these before.” That’s ok. It means you’re on the right track.
1. Shop clearance. Kids clothes are the BEST clearance items you can get. You can also get great children’s shoes and baby care items (like a toothbrush) when they are (as I like to call it) “red tagged.”
2. Look for bins. Giant Eagle (PA and Ohio residents) has a bin with discontinued items. Is it something you need? Is it something you like for a great price? Nab it!
3. Repurpose things in your home you haven’t used. I accidentally bought Suave conditioner instead of shampoo for Daddy J. Did you know you can use conditioner as a shaving cream? That will save you some coin.
4. Only coupon for what you actually need. Some people (just like the TLC show) are extreme couponers and buy crazy amounts of items they don’t need. Don’t do that—it is excessive, and you’ll have random junk sitting around your house. Bulk up on the useful stuff. Deodorant, diapers, wipes, lotion, hand soap, toilet paper, canned goods, the list goes on and on.
5. Get a chest freezer, then shop for two weeks worth of food. Buy value packs of meat, especially if they are BOGO. You can separate them prior to freezing. Date the freezer bags and divide them into portions.
6. Freeze anything extra. Got baby food that’s about to expire? Freeze it. This will save you on the next batch if you don’t have time to make fresh food (it sounds like a great idea, but I’m not sure if I have the time).
7. Make bulk portions of food and freeze. I make spaghetti from scratch. All you need is diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and water. You can add sausage (loose or encased) or meatballs to the mix as well. It is tasty. Freeze it in Tupperware containers or freezer bags.
8. Keep an inventory of all the frozen food. My dad does this on paper. This way, you know what’s there and will not waste anything.
Well, I’m exhausted, and I’m off to bed. Happy saving!